The Attention Demander
Mistakes: Common misjudgments and errors in managing the child which may perpetuate or intensify the problem.
- Assuming that the attention demander doesn't have the skills to do the job, when he/she really does.
- Ignoring the behavior.
- Failing to listen carefully to what the student is saying.
- Making hasty and inconsistent judgments about this student.
- Trying to anticipate the kinds of situations that will cause the student to get what he/she needs by misbehaving.
- Assuming that you can generalize and understand this student and the real motivations for his/her behavior.
- Failing to comprehend the importance of his/her message.
- Trying to keep him/her from getting any attention.